Top Review Articles on Viral Infections
Last update: September 15, 2022
- "A systems approach to infectious disease"
- A framework for a systems biology approach to infectious disease in three parts: discovery — the design, collection and analysis of omics data; representation — the iterative modelling, integration and visualization of complex data sets; and application — the interpretation and hypothesis-based inquiry towards translational outcomes.
- "Camouﬂage and interception: how pathogens evade detection by intracellular nucleic acid sensors"
- This review article describes the interactions between pathogens and nucleic acid sensors. There are intracellular DNA and RNA sensors that induce a transcriptional response leading to the production of interferons, cytokines and chemokines. Several immune evasion strategies include sequestration of PAMPs, modification of viral RNA and DNA, and degradation and inhibition of host signalling factors. Much can be learnt from insights into the host–pathogen interactions that interfere with our cells’ defences.
- "Host Factors in Coronavirus Replication"
- This review summarizes the current understanding of coronavirus–host interactions at the level of the infected cell, with special attention for the assembly and function of the viral RNA-synthesising machinery and the evasion of cellular innate immune responses.
- "Coronaviruses — drug discovery and therapeutic options"
- Review of epidemiology, virology, clinical features, and current treatment strategies of SARS and MERS in 2016. This review article also includes a discussion of the drug discovery and development of new therapeutic options for CoV infections.
- "Cell-based antiviral screening against coronaviruses: Developing virus-specific and broad-spectrum inhibitors"
- A 2014 review explaining cell-based assays using infectious virus (BSL-3) and surrogate assays (BSL-2) that can be implemented to accelerate antiviral development against SARS, MERS, and future emergent coronaviruses such as the recent 2019-nCoV.
- "Severe acute respiratory syndrome vs. the Middle East respiratory syndrome"
- This review compares clinical features, laboratory aspects, and treatment options of SARS-like coronaviruses which typically come from bats. This article compares the similarities and differences of SARS to MERS.
- "SARS coronavirus Accessory Proteins"
- Evidence points to the fact that accessory proteins may play an important role in modulating the host response to virus infection and contribute to pathogenesis. This review compiled the existing knowledge SARS-CoV accessory proteins and attempts to explain the possible roles of these proteins in the propagation and virulence of SARS-CoV in its host.
- "Structure-Based Discovery of a Novel Angiotensin- Converting Enzyme 2 Inhibitor"
- The Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is an important therapeutic target for cardiovascular diseases and SARS outbreaks. This study identifies the molecules with the highest predicted binding scores and assays them for ACE2 enzymatic inhibitory activity and for SARS coronavirus spike protein-mediated cell fusion inhibition.